11.10.08

Enfermedad

Getting sick is a rite of passage for a traveler, so why have I been taking it so personally? It started Monday and I've had a whole succession of symptoms (use your imaginations) that have completely laid me out. Arduous days, fitful nights. I'm the kind of person who tries to keep going if he can, but this one threw up too many obstacles. I even missed a little class, which is cause for concern if you know me. 

Many times I've thought about how much better off I'd be if I were in the same condition back home. Here I'm on my own and have to fret about how I'd explain everything were I to end up at a doctor's office (nightmare scenario: my limb is amputated when I mis-describe a stomach ache). I feel all right tonight, but other moments of optimism have given way to discomfort and pain. In short, WAAAAAAAAAH.

My Spanish has followed the rest of me. When you're really sick you basically regress to infancy, and I didn't know English, let alone the language of Cervantes, then.

But let's focus on the positives: 1. I have saved money (having no appetite will do that), 2. I have learned tons of medical vocabulary, 3. I have re-evaluated aspects of my lifestyle here which may not be so healthy (I will cook the bean stew longer next time, whether this is food poisoning or not), 4. At least I don't have this.

There's not much more to say about this past week. It won't be one I'll want to remember down the road. As such, no pictures this time.

Before I go I will put a quick plug in for This American Life's free podcast. It has helped me pass the long hours of this illness.

Also a protagonist, Spanish television's awesome collection of movies. In the US you get a rotation of recent films or films that have remained popular over time. Here they'll play anything. Sometimes this means they have a longer memory for good movies (I'm watching "Blown Away" as we speak). Often it means schlocky, truly forgettable movies ("The Promised Land") get air-time. 

Today I discovered a real gem which has been lost amid newer, better releases. It's called Victory (1981) and stars Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, and Pelé as Allied prisoners of war facing down the Nazis in a soccer match. Stallone as the goalkeeper has terrible technique (befitting an American, I suppose). He lunges and kicks out his legs at odd angles. The Nazi players are rough with the Allies but of course the ref never calls fouls against them. Funniest continuity error I've ever seen: Pelé injures his arm but re-enters the match late in the second half when the score is tied. He's holding his tender arm close to his body every touch of the ball, protecting it from the German players. When he bicycle-kicks in the winning score, however, he lifts the same arm into the air in triumph! His teammates all pile on top of him because his arm is fine, right? But then when he's on their shoulders he's holding his arm again. Could have been the shot of adrenaline... more likely carelessness on the part of the filmmakers. It did made a sick boy smile.

2 comments:

mothra and ezza said...

more outfit posts
less jibber jabber!

Matt said...

c'mon i want more scarlett johansson pics!!!

get well todd!!